Welcome to your Simply Pumpkin Pie Tutorial AND Recipe! Yes, Simply Living Simply is all about Semi-Homemade…but today were making Pumpkin Pie from Scratch…yes, SCRATCH! So a quick overview. We need pumpkins, sugar/baking pumpkins are best. Two will do you. A blender, some time, your favorite pie crust recipe (check back this week when I will be sharing Stacy Harris’s Pie Recipe!), and ingredients for your pie.
Let’s get bakin!!
Pumpkin Puree Tutorial
1. Choose 2 pumpkins, preferably sugar/baking pumpkins.
2. Wash or wipe off the outsides. Place on foil lined cookie sheet.
3. Preheat oven to 350 and bake in the middle for 20-1 Hr. Time depends on how big your pumpkins are and how many you are baking. Don’t cut the tops off or poke holes. Leave those pumpkins ALONE…NO TOUCHIE!
4. When a knife inserted easily comes out clean … your done, they are done!
5. Take out carefully, they are hot and heavy. NOW cut the tops off carefully…STEAM will escape and its HOT!!
6. Allow to cool…this takes about 30 minutes.
7. Cut in half to help cool. Then divide into sections.
8. Seeds scoop out easily with your knife or a spoon.
9. Carve off the skin (like when sectioning cantaloupe)
10. Cube into chunks.
11. You could now put into plastic freezer bags for later use OR puree
12. To Puree: fill blender halfway full, add a little water, turn blender on, add more water if needed for consistency. Blend till smooth.
13. Store in freezer bags in 2 C. increments, easy for recipe use!
Simply Pumpkin Pie
Let’s get your pie going now…the pictures you will see are 1 pumpkin pie. There are only 2 of us here…and 2 pies is just overkill and dangerous!
1. Preheat your oven to your desired temperature…we are going for 425
2. Find your pie plates and get your most favorite pie crust in there all beautiful like!!
3. Now we add all our ingredients to our bowl. You know the drill, Pumpkin puree, eggs, sugar, spices, and evaporated milk.
5. Pour…isn’t it pretty?!
7. EAT…no wait, it’s hot…..but your so tempted, right??!!!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Please note, the pictures in the tutorial are only 1 pie, I halved the recipe up above. Watch your crust, if they start to brown too much, put foil sleeves over them.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 large eggs
- 16 oz. Pumpkin Puree, Homemade
- 1 can Evaporated Milk
- 1 large DEEP dish pie shell or 2 Shallow pie shells
- MIX sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
- POUR into pie shell or shells
- BAKE in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 2 hours.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
- Top with whipped cream before serving.
This fantastic article can also be viewed at Simply-Living-Simply. Like them on Facebook while you are there!